Castle Fala, Castle fairy tale becomes reality, Ruše, lies on a fluvial terrace with a beautiful view, enclosed by the Fala cliff to the West and age-old precipices on both sides of the river to the North-West.
Because the narrow canyon is difficult to pass, the rock gate was in the past also a cultural separation line. Here ran also the provincial border between Carinthia and the frontier land on the other side of the forests. The main route to Carinthia was efficiently controlled from the Fala Castle.
The origin of the former Fala Castle could date back to 15th century after year 1407, when Oton Der Pergauer ruined the old castle, but there are no archival data on this. The first written record of the old castle however dates back to 1311. The structure and the land was at that time owned by a Benedictine monastery St. Paul’s Abbey from Carinthia. Upon valuation of assets in 1542 the castle was evaluated at 200 pounds and was thus for the first time directly certified. The building and the Drava blockade, the so called Turkish Wall, which could be closed in times of danger, were fortified by St Paul’s Abbey prior Jakob Pachler in 1550 because of continuous Ottoman attacks. To be able to pay off the money used for fortification, Pachler rented the castle to Luka Szekely of Viltuš for 6 000 florins. The Abbot Vincenc Lechner gave the castle to his brother Niklas, and only Abbot Hieronim (1616-1638) managed to get it back from the Lechner family after a long process.
Hieronim appointed a prefect and turned the castle into a monastery. The castle housed monks, people employed at the castle and its lands, as well as professors and clergy studying at the monastery. In 1638 the following personnel was recorded at the Fala Castle: beside the manager and the clerk, there were also a bailiff, a huntsman, a fisherman, a miller, a stableman, a cook and 3 to 5 soldiers for the needs of the land. The castle is described as follows in the land register of 1638: “It has three beautiful rooms, three large chambers, a hall, two cellars, an arched kitchen and pantries, chambers for the service and a fairly large chapel of St. Nicholas”.
Castle Fala, Castle fairy tale becomes reality, Ruše, today comprises of 18 large stylistically furnished room, 13 chambers which used to be intended for the service, a castle chapel, the castle courtyard and an event space with 400 seats in the castle courtyard along with a tavern and a great hall.
Milan Slavič renovated all the cellars, 38 rooms are fully furnished, and the luxurious home is open for free tours every weekend, when it becomes the residence of Count Maksimilijan Slavič with his team of closest co-workers.
For all additional information, Castle Fala, Castle fairy tale becomes reality, Ruše, invites you to get in touch with them through the web form.